Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tom Shales, Pulitzer-Prize winning media columnist - essayist (Online Q/A session) Aug. 31, Noon Hour

Here's what was posted among the opening Questions - Critical Inquiries -- one from Media Consumer who also writes this blog ("faithfor2008" dot-blogspot dot-com): The EMMYs show began at 8 p.m. and concluded by 11 p.m. on Sunday Aug. 29, 2010

Niles, Michigan USA: It seemed like the August 29 Awards show moved forward with jerks and speed bumps -- at each genre "Reality"/"Comedy"/"Drama" there were clip anthologies that seemed rather unrepresentative for what actually were memorable 2009-10 moments during the award "year" preceding -- I found the show to be overstuffed with NBC self-promotional moments and therefore unbearable to watch without fast forward. Agree?

Tom Shales: I don't know if it was "unbearable" cause after all, i did bear it - but then I'm just in the habit, I guess -- but you're so right, the clip tsunami was a mess. It was hard to tell what belonged where and next to whom and why and the whole idea of dividing it up into genres - and then putting comedy first (isn't that what they did? my memory not perfect on Emmy Shows) -- seemed to me emphatically NOT to work. There should be a certain amount of disorganization because otherwise there aren't likely to be many surprises.... Thank you Niles Michigan, home of famous golden-age announcer WENDELL NILES !!!! Yayyy as Kermit would say. And I just made that up, I don't know where Wendell came from. Forgive me......

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2010/08/27/DI2010082704184.html

No comments: