Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Psalm 94 -- 21st Century translation (Psalms_of_Jewish_Liturgy: Avi Press)

Translated by Miriyam Glazer, Ph.D. (2009):
God of retribution, God who exacts punishment, Adonai, shine forth!
Rise up, Judge of all the earth, and give the arrogant what they deserve.
How long, Adonai, how long, will the wicked triumph?
Their arrogance knows no bounds, they boast of their own wrongdoing --
they oppress Your people, they mock Your traditions, Adonai.
They kill the widow and the foreigner among us,
they murder orphans, they claim that You won't see --
that the God of Jacob will pay no attention --
Understand this, you brutes -- you fools, see the truth:
Will the One who formed the ear not hear?
Will the Creator of the eye not notice?
Will the One who rebukes nations, the One who teaches awareness,
fail to punish you?
Adonai knows our thoughts, knows they are a wisp of wind, a mere breath;
Happy are the ones who feel God's rebuke and learn the lesson --
they can be calm during times of trouble, until evil is swallowed up in a pit.
Adonai will not abandon Israel, those who inherit God's teaching:
Justice will be restored, and honest hearts will pursue it.
Who will rise up with me against evildoers?
Who will stand with me against the wicked?
If Adonai were not my help, my soul would almost be silenced --
For when I feel that I'm stumbling,
Your sturdy love, Adonai, sets me on my feet.
When my anxieties war within me, You soothe and console me.
You would never lend a hand to leaders whose cruel laws cause suffering, who band together to persecute the just, who spill innocent blood.
You are my source of strength, Adonai, my God --
You are my refuge -- my Rock who will confront evildoers with their own evil
and utterly destroy them.
Wipe them out.
Adonai our God will wipe them out.

No comments: