Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Psalm 91 -- a 21st Century Translation by Miriyam Glazer, Ph.D. (2009)

from PSALMS FROM JEWISH LITURGY (Avi Press):
a psalm of trust / / /
One who dwells within God's shelter lives in the Almighty's protective shadow.
I call Adonai "my haven and my strength,"
for my God, I trust you.
God will save you from hunters' traps,
from deadly plague,
and protect you, shelter you under the shadow of God's wings.
God, our shield, our armor, we trust You.
Have no fear of the terrors of nights, of arrows that fly by day -- of pestilence
stalking at dusk, or the scourge that strikes at noon.
Though thousands fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand,
you will be safe.
Only look with your eyes --
the destruction of the wicked is what you will see.
No harm can befall you, no affliction approach you home.
God commands angels to guard you on all your paths --
to lift you up with their palms, lest you stumble on stones.
Even if you tread on lion and adder, or trample a serpent or a lion cub --
God will say "Because you have clung to me, I will save you;
I will set you up high, for you know my Name.
Whoever calls me, I will answer, and remain by their side through times of trouble,
I will draw you out of danger and honor you, setting you with length of days --
revealing to you My power to save."

No comments: