Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Psalm 92: 21st Century translation by Miriyam Glazer, Ph.D. (2009)

from Psalms of the Jewish Liturgy (Avi Press):
How good it is to thank Adonai,
to sing praises to our God on high, telling of Your kindness in the morning,
Your loyalty, at night with the melodies of the lyre and harp, the music of the lute.
You have so gladdened me, Adonai, by Your works,
I sing of Your handiwork - creation - with joy!
How great are Your deeds, Adonai --
Your thoughts are so deep --
The cynical are blind to it - fools don't understand.
Evil may sprout up like grass -- evildoers may flourish,
but they will be destroyed utterly --
and You, Adonai, will be honored forever.
Look, Adonai, look how Your enemies perish,
how evildoers scatter!
As if I were a wild ox, You raise up my horn in triumph.
You anoint me with freshest oil.
My eyes see my enemies' downfall,
my ears heart their defeat.
But the just are as fertile as a date palm,
and like a cedar on Mount Lebanon, they grow tall.
Planted in the House of Adonai,
in the courtyard of our God, they blossom.
They are fresh even in old age, fruitful luxuriant --
telling that Adonai is true, my Rock, flawless.

No comments: