Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, February 27, 2015

Psalm 66 -- Common English Bible (2011) -- a 21st Century translation for readers and worshippers

For the music leader / / / a song / / / a psalm / / / [ shifts in this lyric from opening twelve verses then verses 13 - 20]
Shout joyfully to God, all the earth!
Sing praises to the glory of God's name!
Make glorious his praise!
Say to God:
"How awesome are your works!
Because of your great strength,
your enemies cringe before you.
All the earth worships you,
sings praises to you,
sings praises to your name." -- SELAH.
Come and see God's deeds: his works for human beings are awesome;
(Verse 6) He turned the sea into dry land
so they could cross the river on foot.
Right there we rejoiced in him!
(Verse 7): God rules with power forever,
keeps a good eye on the nations.
So don't let the rebellious exalt themselves. -- SELAH.

All you nations, bless our God!
Let the sound of his praise be heard!
God preserved us among the living;
he didn't let our feet slip a bit.

But you, God, have tested us --
you've refined us like silver,
trapped us in a net,
laid burdens on our backs,
let other people run right over our heads --
we've been through fire and water.
But you've brought us out to freedom!
(Verse 13):  So I'll enter your house with entirely burned offerings.
I'll keep the promises I made to you,
the ones my lips uttered,
the ones my mouth spoke when I was in deep trouble.
I will offer the best burned offerings to you
along with the smoke of sacrificed rams.
I will offer both bulls and goats.  -- SELAH.

Come close and listen,
all you who honor God;
I will tell you what God has done for me:
my mouth cried out to thim
with praise on my tongue.
If I had cherished evil in my heart,
my Lord would not have listened.
But God definitely listened.
He heard the sound of my prayer.
(Verse 20):  Bless God! He didn't reject my prayer;
he didn't withhold
his faithful love from me.

No comments: