Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Psalm 42: Twenty-first Century translation (Common English Bible, 2011)

Book II (Psalms 42 -72)
This Psalm is "for the music leader" // "a maskil of the Korahites" //

Just like a deer that craves streams of water, my whole being / soul craves you, God.
My whole being thirsts for God, for the living God.
When will I come and see God's face?
My tears have been my food both day and night, as people constantly questioned me, "Where's your God now?"

But I remember these things as I bare my soul: how I made my way to the mighty one's abode:
to God's own house, with joyous shots and thanksgiving songs --
a huge crowd celebrating this festival!
Why, I ask myself, are you so depressed?
Why are you so upset inside?
Hope in God!
Because I will again give him thanks, my saving presence and my God!

My whole being is depressed.
That's why I remember you from the land of Jordan and Hermon, from Mount Mizar.
Deep called to deep at the noise of your waterfalls;
all you massive waves surged over me.
By day the LORD commands his faithful love;
By night his song is with me --
a prayer to the God of my life.

I will say to God, my solid rock, "Why have you forgotten me?
Why do I have to walk around, sad, oppressed by enemies?"
 With my bones crushed, my foes make fun of me,
constantly questioning me: "Where's your God now?"
Why, I ask myself, are you so depressed? 
Why are you so upset inside?  Hope in God!  Because I will again give him thanks, my saving presence and my God.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

No comments: