Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Psalm 35: a 21st Century translation by Pamela Greenberg (THE_COMPLETE PSALMS, 2011)

By David / / /
Contend, God, against my contenders,
take arms against those who take arms against me.
Take hold of your shield and armor and rise to my help.
Throw out your spear;
close yourself off to the cry of my pursuers.

Say to my soul: I am your salvation.

May they be ashamed and humiliated instead,
those who seek after my life.
May they be fenced off from behind;
may they dig for escape,
those who contemplate my destruction.

They will be like chaff carried on the face of the wind
with an angel of the Holy One thrusting them along from behind.
Their road will be dark and slippery,
with an angel of God in close pursuit.

For without cause they have hidden a trap for me.
For no reason they have dug snares for my soul
May the dark of devastation come upon them suddenly.

And the trap that is hidden,
may it tangle around their legs,
bringing them down into utter dark.

My soul will exult in the Holy One,
rejoicing in divine salvation.
All my bones will declare:
God, who compares to you,
the one who lifts away the poor from one more powerful,
the afflicted from hands of the thief?

Witnesses who crave violence rise up against me,
Those I don't know seek out my life.
They pay me back harm for good,
leaving my soul bereaved.

And I, when they were sick, wore only sackcloth,
I afflicted my soul with fasting --
may my prayer return to my breast.

As for a friend, a brother,
I paced back and forth.
As though in mourning for a mother,
I remained hunched over in darkness.
But when I limped they rejoiced and assembled;
they gathered against me to strike.

As through strangers I did not know,
they tore at me in silence.
With words of contempt, they gnashed against me their teeth.

My Upholder, how long will you remain a bystander?
Salvage my soul from destruction.
From hungry lions keep my body intact.
I will thank you wherever people gather.
I will praise you in mighty crowds.
Don't let my enemies exult over me,
those who speak falsehood,
those who hate without cause,
whose eyes squint with cruelty.
Because they do not speak words of peace,
and for the tranquil devise words of betrayal.

They gape their mouths before me, saying --"Ha, we have
seen with out own eyes."

You have witnessed this, God -- don't stay quiet.
My Upholder, don't remain distant.
Open your eyes and awaken to my cause.
My God and Sustainer, contend for me.
Judge me with fairness, One Whom I Lean On,
my Source of Help.

Don't let them rejoice over my plight.
Don't let them exclaim in their heart: "Ha, we have
swallowed him whole."

Let them be ashamed and repentant,
those who delight at my downfall as one.
Let them be clothed in humiliation and embarrassment,
those who think themselves so high.

Then all who delight in justice will sing out in joy.
They will proclaim at all time: "Let us witness
your infinite power,
you who take pleasure in your servant's delight."

My mouth will murmur of your righteousness,
your praises all day long.

No comments: