Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Psalm 34 -- translation by Gary Chamberlain (Upper Room Publishing, 1984) "A new translation for prayer and worship"

I will bless the Lord at all times;
God's praise will constantly be in my mouth.
My very being exults in the Lord;
The poor will hear and rejoice.
Declare the Lord's greatness with me,
And let us together lift up God's name.
The Lord whom I sought has answered me,
And saved me from all that frightens me.
Look at the Lord, and be radiant!
Do not let your face look ashamed.
Poor as I am, I cried out, and God heard;
The Lord saved me from all that distressed me.
The Lord's messenger camps around us.
And save all those who fear God.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;
Happy are those whose refuge is God.
Stand in awe of the Lord, holy people;
Those who fear God are never in need.
While even young lions are poor and hungry,
Those who seek God lack nothing good.
Come, children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the Lord:
Do you desire long life,
Yearning for days to enjoy good things?
Then keep your tongue from everything hurtful,
Your lips from speaking deceit;
Turn from wrong, and do what is right;
Persistently seeking peace.
God does not countenance those who do wrong,
But blots out the world's recollection of them.
The eye of the Lord watches over the righteous;
The ears of the Lord hear their cry for help.
God listens when they cry out,
And saves them from every distress.
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted,
And saves the crushed in spirit.
Great distress still comes to the righteous,
But they are rescued out of it all.
God protects all their bones,
So that not one bone is broken.
Let evil kill those who wrong others;
Condemn those who hate good people.
But, Lord, redeem the lives of your servants;
Do not condemn those who seek safety in you.

No comments: