Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tobit - chapter 12 (excerpt - Raphael's prayer and revelation)

12: 6 - 22 (translated by Edgar Goodspeed)
Then Raphael called them both and said to them in private, "Bless God and give thanks to Him.  Ascribe majesty to Him, and before all the living acknowledge how He has dealt with you.  It is a good thing to bless God and to exalt His name, declaring God's works and doing them honor, so do not be slow to give Him thanks.  It is wise to keep a king's secret, but the works of God should be gloriously revealed.   Do good, and evil will not overtake you.  Prayer is good if accompanied with fasting, charity, and uprightness.  A little with uprightness is better than much with wickedness.  It is better to give to charity than to lay up gold.  For charity will save a person from death; it will expiate any sin.  Those who give to charity and act uprightly will ahve their fill of life; but those who commit sin are the enemies of their own lives.  I will not conceal anything from you; as I said, 'it is wise to keep a king's secret, but the works of God should be gloriously revealed. ' So now when you and your daughter-in-law Sarah prayed, I brought the remembrance of your prayer before the Holy One.  And when you buried the dead, I was still with you.  And when you did not shrink from getting up and leaving your dinner to go and lay out the dead, your good deed did not escape me, but I was with you.  So God sent me to cure you and your daughter-in-law Sarah.  For I am Raphael, one of the seven holy angels, who offer up the prayers of God's people and go into the presence of the glory of the Holy One!"  And they were both confounded, and fell on their faces, for they were terrified.  And Raphael said to them, "Do not be afraid; peace be with you.  Bless God forever.  For not through any favor on my part but by the will of God I came to you.  Therefore bless Him forever.  All these days that I appeared to you, I did not eat or drink, but you beheld a vision.  Now give thanks to God, for I must go up to Him who sent me, and you must write all that has happened on a scroll"  And when they got up, they no longer saw him.  And they acknowledged the great, wonderful doings of God, and how the angel of the Lord had appeared to them.

No comments: