Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ben Sira -- Chapter 51 (two Appendices: Psalm & Acrostic)

51: 1 - 12 Psalm of thanksgiving (translated by Edgar Goodspeed)
I will give thanks to you, Lord and King, and praise You as God my Savior.  I give thanks to Your name, for You have been my protector and helper, and have delivered my body from destruction, and from the snare of a slanderous tongue.  From lips that utter lies and before those who stood by, You were my helper and delivered me, in the greatness of Your mercy and of Your name, from the gnashing of teeth when I was about to be devoured, from the hand of those who sought my life, from the numerous troubles that I had, from choking fire all around me, and from the midst of a flame which I had not kindled, from the depth of the heart of Hades, and from the unclean tongue and the lying speech.  An unrighteous tongue uttered slander to the king; my soul drew nigh to death, and my life was near to Hades beneath; they surrounded me on every side, and there was no one to help me; I looked for the help of men, and there was none.
Then I remembered your mercy, Lord, and Your work which has been from old, for you deliver those who wait for you, and save them from the hand of their enemies.  And I sent up my supplication from the earth, and prayed for deliverance from death.  I besought the Lord, the father of my lord, not to forsake me in my days of trouble, at the time when there is no help against the proud.  I said, "I will praise your name continually, and praise you with thanksgiving."  And my prayer was heard, for you saved me from destruction, and delivered me from my emergency, therefore I will give thanks to you and praise you, and bless the name of the Lord.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Acrostic about Ben Sira's love for Wisdom (verses 13 - 30)
When I was very young, before I went on my wanderings, I sought Wisdom expressly in my prayer; in front of the temple I asked for her, and I will search for her unto the end.  From her flower as from her ripening grape, my heart delighted in her.  My foot trod in uprightness; from my youth I followed her steps.  I bowed my ear a little and received her, and found much instruction for myself.  I made progress in her; and to Him who gave me Wisdom I will give glory.  For I was resolved to practice her, and I was zealous for the good, and I shall not be disappointed.  My soul grappled with her, and in the fulfillment of the Law I was very strict, I spread out my hands to heaven above, and lamented my ignorance of her.  I directed my soul to her, and through purification I found her.  I gained my purpose with her from the beginning; therfore I will not be forsaken.  My heart was stirred to seek her; therefore I obtained a good possession.  The Lord gave me the power to speak as my reward, and I will praise Him with it.
Come to me, you who are untaught, and pass the night in the house of instruction.  Why do you say you are wanting in these things, and that your souls are very thirsty?  I opened my mouth and said, get her for yourselves without money, put your neck under her yoke, and let your soul receive instruction.  She is to be found close by.  See with your own eyes that I have worked but little, and yet found myself much repose.  Get some instruction with a great sum in silver, and you will gain much gold with it.  Let your soul delight in His mercy, and may you not be disappointed for praising Him.  Finish your work in time, and in His own time He will give you your reward.

No comments: