Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, September 10, 2010

Prayers of Tobit (book of the Apocrypha) - translated by Edgar Goodspeed

This deuterocanonical book of 14 chapters includes a narrative that is vivid and mysterious as well as sections of prayerful and insightful writing.  From those chapters, I have excerpted parts of these chapters: 3, 4, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13 (entire), and 14.  Here's the first blog-entry for our daily notice:

3: 1-6, 11-15 (translated by Edgar Goodspeed)
Then I (Tobit who is narrator) was grieved and wept, and I prayed sorrowfully, and said, "Lord, You are upright, and all Your doings and all Your ways are mercy and truth, and You always judge truly and justly.  Remember me and look upon me; do not take vengeance on me for my sins and my ignorant acts, and for those of my forefathers, which they committed in Your sight, for they disobeyed Your commands.  You have given us up to pillage and captivity and death, and made us a proverb and a reproach among all the nations among whom we have been scattered.  And now Your judgments which are many are right, in exacting from me for my sins and those of my forefathers, because we did not keep your commadments, for we have not walked uprightly before You.  So now deal with me according to Your pleasure; command my spirit to be taken from me, so that I may be released and return to dust, for I had rather die than live, because I have had to listen to false reproaches, and have felt great sorrow.  Command me to be released from this distress and taken to my everlasting place of abode; do not turn your face away from me."
. . .And she (Sarah, seven-time widow) prayed by her window, and said, "Blessed are You, O Lord, my God, and blessed be Your holy and honored name forever; may all Your works bless You forever.  And now, Lord, I turn my face and my eyes to You; command me to be released from the earth and to hear reproach no more.  You know, Lord, that I am innocent of any sin with man; I have never defiled my name, or the name of my father, in the land of my captivity.  I am my father's only child; he has no other child to be his heir.  He has not brother near him or nephew whom I should keep myself to marry.  I have already lost seven husbands; why must I live any longer?  And if it is not Your pleasure to kill me, command that some regard be had for me, and some pity be shown me, and that I no more may have to listen to reproach."

No comments: