Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Brandon Inge (Detroit Tiger 3B) lifts hopes of club with HR to tie in Game 4 ALCS

from M Live (Michigan Live online news of the state) -- www.mlive.com/

It took nearly 11 years to achieve, but Brandon Inge finally earned himself a curtain call.

Inge’s name was called front and center following a game-tying solo home run in the seventh inning off Tiger-killer Alexi Ogando in Game 4 of the AL Championship Series.

He received a hero’s welcome from teammates in the dugout, which included a hug from starting pitcher Rick Porcello, who had relinquished a two-run lead the previous inning.

“It was funny,” Inge said. “He was really appreciative that I got him off the hook.”

Then the Comerica Park crowd -- all 42,234 in attendance -- got in on the lovefest, demanding a curtain call from the 11-year veteran. Inge gladly accepted, but required direction from a few teammates.

“I was still so fired up. The guys pushed me and I didn’t know what they were doing,” Inge said. “I got some chills during that -- it was pretty special.”

Inge said he didn’t have a swing-for-the-fence mentality and was just trying remain aggressive -- possibly drive the ball into the left-center gap.

“The situation I was in, he had just thrown me a curveball and I was thinking that if he throws me another curveball, maybe I could foul it off,” Inge said. “I just didn’t want to let him beat me with the fastball.”

He didn’t.

The home run came on a 0-2, two-out fastball that the right-handed, flame-throwing Ogando left in the middle of the plate.

“He threw me a fastball on the outside corner for strike one,” Inge said, “and then a curveball that fooled me. Then he threw me a fastball that was right down the middle.”

The home run to left field gave Inge two hits on the night, which tied him for fourth in franchise history with 17 postseason hits. Ogando, the starter and winner for all three Texas victories against the Tigers this season, had retired five straight batters before facing Inge, the club’s No. 9 hitter.

“That’s why it was as special as it was to me,” Inge said. “There are a lot of times that if you can get to one of their better pitchers, it gives hope to everyone. That was the main goal.”

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2011/10/tigers_brandon_inge_earns_firs.html

No comments: