Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Psalm 31 - 21st Century translation and vocabulary choices - Pamela Greenberg's THE COMPLETE PSALMS (2010: Bloomsbury)

For the conductor of the eternal symphony /// a Psalm of David ///
In you, God, I have taken refuge.
Don't let me ever all to shame.
With your will toward goodness,
provide me means of escape.
Lean down your ear;
come to my rescue.
Be for me a Rock of strength,
a stronghold of salvation.

For you are my cliff and rest from pursuit.

In keeping with your truth, guide me, leading me forward.
Untangle me from hidden snares.
For you are my source of sustenance.
In your hand I place my spirit for safekeeping.
Redeem me, God of truth.
I have rejected those who uphold emptiness and vapor.

I have put my trust in you.

I will rejoice and take pleasure in your kindness,
knowing that you have seen my affliction.
You cared for me in times of trouble,
did not surrender me to the enemy's fist.
You stood my feet on wide plains.
Treat me gently now, my Solace,
because of the narrowness of my straits.
My eye is wasted away with anger,
along with my soul and my stomach.
My life has been destroyed by grief,
my years gone down with groans.
My strength falters because of my wrongs;
my bones are eaten away.
From those who watch for my ruin, I have fallen into scorn,
and most of all by ones with whom I was closest.
I am a source of fear to those who know me.
Those who glimpse me in the streets flee from my face.
I have become invisible as the dead-hearted,
like a lost vessel no one bothers to look for.
For I have heard accusations of the crowd,
a whirlwind of terror all around
when they gathered together against me.
They schemed to take my life --
but I trusted in you.
I proclaimed: "You are my God.
My every instant is in your hand."
You rescued me from the grasp of my enemies and pursuers.
Shine the light of your ace upon your servant.
Save me with the strength of your kindness.
Don't let me be ashamed for calling upon you, God.
Let the wrongful fall to shame instead,
let them go to the grave in silence.
Quiet their lips of lies,
those who speak falsely against the innocent
with arrogance and scorn.
How wide is your concern!
You shelter those who revere you,
protecting all who take refuge in you from harm.
Hide them in the shelter of your presence,
away from the hard knot of people.
Conceal them in a tabernacle,
far from the contention of tongues.
Praised is God for showing me the wonder of divine kindness,
even in a city under siege.
I have said in my panic,
"I am cut off from before your eyes."
But you heard the voice of my plea,
the note of desperation when I cried out for help.
Love the Infinite, all who act with kindness;
the Holy One keeps watch over the faithful,
paying back in good measure those who act with pride.

Be strong and embolden your hearts,
all who long for God.

No comments: