Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, November 1, 2010

A Hymn of Solomon (#16). For help for the devout.

16: 1 - 15 (translated by R.B. Wright, 1985)
When my soul slumbered, (I was far away) from the Lord, wretched for a time;
I sank into sleep, far from God.
For a moment my soul was poured out to death;
(I was) near the gates of Hades with the sinner
Thus my soul was drawn away from the Lord God of Israel,
unless the Lord had come to my aid with His everlasting mercy.
He jabbed me as a horse is goaded to keep it awake;
my savior and protector at all times saved me.
I will give thanks to You, O God who came to my aid for (my) salvation,
and who did not count me with the sinners for (my) destruction.
Do not take Your mercy away from me, O God,
nor Your memory from my hert until death.
Restrain me, O God, from sordid sin,
and from every evil woman who seduces the foolish.
And may the beauty of a criminal woman not deceive me,
nor anyone subject to useless sin.
Direct the works of my hands before You,
and protect my steps in Your remembrance.
Protect my tongue and my lips with words of truth;
put anger and thoughtless rage far from me.
Put grumbling and discouragement in persecution far from me.
If I sin, discipline (me) that (I may) return.
With approval and happiness support my soul;
when You strengthen my soul, what has been given is enough for me.
For if you do not give strength,
who can endure discipline in poverty?
When a person is tried by his mortality,
Your testing is in his flesh, and in the difficulty of poverty.
If the righteousness endures all these things, he will receive mercy from the Lord.

No comments: