Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, August 19, 2022

Gerard Manley Hopkins

 selected by Frederick Buechner in "Speak What We Feel" (2001) Reflections on Literature & Faith

. . . one of the four essayists/poets that he compares and contrasts is

Hopkins citing this work on "Darkness" 

I wake and feel the fell of dark, not day.

What hours, O what black hours we have spent

This night! what sights you, heart, saw; ways you went!

And more must, in yet longer light's delay.


What witness I speak this.  But where I say

Hours I mean years, mean life.  And my lament

Is cries, countless, cries like dead letters sent

To dearest him that lives alas! away.


I am gall.  I am heartbroken.  God's most deep decree

Bitter would have me taste; my taste was me;

Bones built in me, flesh filled, blood brimmed the curse.


Self-yeast of spirit a dull dough sours.  I see

The lost are like this, and their scourge to be

As I am mine, their sweating selves; but worse.

[page 20, from  part I]

ISBN= 00621752X HarperCollins

No comments: