Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, August 19, 2022

Frederick Buechner (reflecting on life's end for "Speak What We Feel" (2001)

 The renowned novelist, essayist, preacher, thinker considered four influential writers

who helped answer life's most perplexing questions [ G.M. Hopkins, G.K. Chesterton, M. Twain a.k.a. Samuel Clemens, and W. Shakespeare ]

FROM Page 160 in the afterword (pages 157-161)

Death, on the other hand, seems less of a negative to me now than it once did.

If somebody a while back had offered me a thousand more years, I would

have leapt at it, but at this point (n.b. he was 75) I would be inclined to beg

off on the grounds that, although I continue to enjoy things a good deal

most of the time and hope to go on as long as I can, the eventual end 

to life seems preferable to the idea of an endless and endlessly

redundant extension of it.  The only really sad part of checking out as

I think of it now is that I won't be around to see what becomes of my

grandchildren, who are the light of my life, the oldest of them only

seven at this writing.  But maybe that is just as well.

They say that we are never happier than our unhappiest child, and if

that is expanded to include the next generation down, the result

is unthinkable. . There is sadness too in thinking how much more 

I might have done with my life than just writing, especially considering

that I was ordained not only to preach good news to the poor,

but to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the sick and imprisoned,

and raise the dead.

If I make it as far as St. Peter's gate, the most I will be able to plead is

my thirty-two books, and if that is not enough, I am lost.

No comments: