Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Letter to Elizabeth Z. (DBW volume 12)

Translated by Craig L. Nessam (WHO IS CHRIST FOR US?

Fortress Press, 2002, ISBN : 0-8006-3480-2

A letter from Bonhoeffer to

Elizabeth Zinn, 1936 :

I bury myself in work in a very unchristian and

immodest way.  A crazed ambition, which some

have noticed about me, makes life difficult. . .

Then something else happened, something

that up to this day has changed and rearranged

my life. I came to the first time to the Bible. . 

I had already often preached; I had already seen

much of the church, even spoken and written

about it -- and still I had never become 

a Christian, but instead was very furiously 

and unrestrainedly my own Lord . . . 

Also I had never prayed, or only very little.  

I was with utter abandonment 

entirely content with myself.  

The BIBLE has liberated me from that, 

and especially the Sermon on the Mount.  

Since that time everything

has become different.

[page 62 of Nessan's WHO IS CHRIST

FOR US TODAY ]

No comments: