Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, June 1, 2020

Social Media Post --- Niele Ivey, Notre Dame Head Women's Basketball Coach -- week of May 25 - 31, 2020

following the death of George Floyd of Minneapolis who was killed while under arrest of the police:

"The events of last week and the murder of George Floyd has been infuriating, painful and senseless.  Another target, another hashtag and a continued system of oppression that has plagued our country for hundreds of years.  Blatant racism, police brutality, and murder targeting black and brown people.  I am not OK.  My heart is heavy.

I am not only a coach and leader but I am a mother.  A mother of a young black man.  It is a constant fear of mine to have a son that the world views as a threat.  I wake up asking God to protect him.  When he leaves the house, I am not fully at peace until he is back safe at home.  This is no way to live, but this is our reality."

No comments: