Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, December 18, 2010

This day in history: 303 years ago (12/18/1707)

Date and article in The Writer's Almanac (list serv by G. Keillor, Minnesota Public Radio)

It's the birthday of the hymn writer Charles Wesley, born in Epworth, England (1707). He was the youngest of 19 children. His father and his two older brothers were all Anglican clergy, and he followed in their footsteps. His brother John is credited as the founder of the Methodist movement. John Wesley famously described a religious experience in which, he said, 'I felt my heart strangely warmed.' But most people forget that just three days earlier, Charles Wesley had described the experience of overwhelming joy and a 'strange palpitation of heart.' Charles was the first person to be called a 'Methodist,' albeit as an insult, because he and John were so methodical in their schedule of sleeping, praying, working, and studying.

During his lifetime, Charles Wesley published lyrics to more than 6,000 hymns. He wrote the lyrics to 'Hark! The Herald Angels Sing,' 'O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing,' 'Christ the Lord Has Risen Today,' 'Jesus, Lover of My Soul,' and thousands more.
He wrote to his wife, Sarah, whom he called Sally: 'Suffer me to boast a little. Never did the people seem to love me better, or I them. They are brethren who dwell together in unity. I was feasted all Sunday long. B. Evans, my host, and his wife do their utmost to make my lodging agreeable. It is a most delightful place, in the air, clean as a Friend's house.'

No comments: