Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, May 6, 2022

Harriet Tubman

 from THE REFUGEE (1856 : narratives of fugitive slaves)

page 745 paragraph in "American Anti-Slavery Writings" (volume in 2013 Library of America series)

ISBN: 978-1-59853-196

"I grew up like a neglected weed,

ignorant of liberty, having no experience of it.

Then I was not happy or contented: every time I saw a white man I

was afraid of being carried away.  I had two sisters carried away in a 

chain-gang, one of them left two children.

We were always uneasy.

Now I've been free, I know what a dreadful condition slavery is.

I have seen hundreds of escaped slaves, but I never saw one

who was willing to go back and be a slave.   I have no opportunity

to see my friends in my native land.

We would rather stay in our native land, if we could be

as free there as we are here.  I think slavery is the next thing

to hell.  If a person would send another into bondage,

he would, it appears to me, be bad enough to send him

into hell, if he could."

No comments: