Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Invitation to re-visit the Americas before he died (Sept. 30, 1785)

Excerpt from JOURNAL by John Wesley, A.M. (30 September 1785):
"I had a long conversation with John McGreary, one of our American preachers, just come to England.  He gave a pleasing account of the work of God there, continually increasing, and vehemently importuned me to pay one more visit to America before I die.  Nay, I shall pay no more visits to new worlds till I go to the world of spirits." (This preacher was an Irishman who had worked with Asbury in America for two years and had now returned to England at the end of the war and to service in the Liverpool circuit) -- see Volume 23 Journals and Diaries VI (edited for the Bicentennial Edition of John Wesley's Works by W. Reginald Ward - Abingdon 1995). Pages 332 - 333.

No comments: